Table of Contents
Make a Difference in the Lives and Health of People in Your Community
Every year, Allergy & Asthma Network’s volunteers work in their communities to raise awareness and educate patients and families living with asthma and allergies. We’re now mobilizing nationwide to have a greater impact for those living with asthma and COPD by launching our Community Asthma & COPD Experts.
We plan to welcome 100 volunteers nationwide to serve as Community Asthma & COPD Experts. Our goal:
- educate patients about the value of guidelines-based asthma & COPD care
- implement albuterol (along with epinephrine) as stock emergency medications in the school setting
Becoming a Community Asthma & COPD Expert is a way for you to give back, connect with people in your community and other health experts, and share your knowledge to improve disease management and better outcomes for those with asthma and COPD.
When completing the online volunteer form, choose “Community Asthma & COPD Volunteer” from the volunteer role list.
As a Community Asthma & COPD Expert, you will:
- Complete a one-hour training webinar to introduce the program and resources
- Provide assistance to patients and healthcare providers as needed (by phone or email)
- Develop a personal volunteer plan:
- Deliver a PowerPoint presentation to educate patients and healthcare providers (health fair, meeting, conference) — we have a draft presentation for you to use
- Share resources with patients — request Allergy & Asthma Network resources for programming
- Conduct a social media campaign, write a blog … or come up with your own great idea!
Who should apply to be a Community Asthma & COPD Expert?
- Respiratory therapists
- Asthma educators
- Health educators
- Experience and knowledge of asthma, COPD and respiratory care
- Computer skills to provide an online PowerPoint presentation and participate in social media
- Ability to provide within the 2020-21 time frame two or more health promotion activities such as:
- Asthma education (think virtual!)
- Health fairs and webinars / Zoom meetings
- Social media campaign
- Patient programming
- Conference or meeting presentation on asthma, COPD or Asthma-COPD Overlap (ACO)
Thank you for considering being a partner in this educational program!