Have questions or concerns about your treatment or care? People with allergies, asthma and related conditions may find a patient navigator helpful.
Patient navigators work with you to develop an individualized health plan based on your needs and wishes. They help guide you through the healthcare system at all phases and work with you to overcome obstacles to getting care. This may include health screenings to diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care.
Here are some ways a patient navigator can assist you.
Improving communication with your doctors
Are you or a loved one finding it difficult to communicate with your doctor? A patient navigator can help give you tools to communicate and get your questions answered. This will help you make a more informed decision about your health.
Improving communication with your insurance company
Patient navigators can help you better communicate with insurance companies, case managers, employers and lawyers.
Improving appointment testing and language interpretation services
A patient navigator can advise you on how to schedule appointments for health testing. In need of a language interpretation service? A patient navigator can assist you in finding a translator to help you better communicate with health professionals and agencies.
Assistance with applications to get medical access
When you are diagnosed with an illness, you may need social, financial and legal support. Patient navigators can help you understand what supports are available. They can forward applications, if needed.
Allergy & Asthma Network’s free patient navigator services
We offer a patient navigator to assist you in navigating the healthcare system. All services are free. Our patient navigator can:
- Connect you to resources available from Allergy & Asthma Network. If we don’t have available resources, our patient navigator can help you find other resources, depending on your diagnosis.
- Help you to understand the programs and services Allergy & Asthma network has to offer. These programs include our educational resources, research programs, webinars, and more.
- Help you navigate the step therapy process. Our patient navigator can offer suggestions on how to work with doctors, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals. Our patient navigator can offer shortcuts and other ideas to help manage this process.
- Help you learn about biologics and other types of FDA-approved targeted therapies for your condition.
- Assist you in locating prescription assistance programs to help you afford your medications.
- Help you understand the insurance prior authorization process and how best to navigate it.
- Forward your story (with your permission) to Allergy & Asthma Network’s advocacy team to use in its efforts to advocate for patient rights and access to care.
- Assist in mobilizing resources for caregivers.
- Locate community-based resources to assist you.