Did you know that 32 million people live with food allergies in America? This means that it’s likely you know someone who has a food allergy. Food allergies can be a serious health concern. They have a significant impact on diet, health and quality of life. Severe allergic reactions to food are potentially life-threatening. By showing understanding and support for those with food allergies, we can foster a more welcoming and inclusive community, improve quality of life – and save lives.
Join Allergy & Asthma Network May 14-20, 2023 for Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW) to raise awareness and foster support for people with food allergies. Here are 8 ways you can help:
- Share Your Story: Share your experience with food allergies on social media using the hashtag #FAAW – tag us @AllergyAsthmaHQ. If you tag us, we will reshare it on our social media accounts!
- Become a Food Allergy Patient Expert: Use this week to learn all you can about food allergies. You can learn about the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of food allergies. You can also learn about the different types of food allergies and how they can affect people differently.
- Take Action: Use your voice and get involved by advocating for the Protecting Children with Food Allergies Act to help keep schools safe for children living with food allergies.
- Be Prepared: Learn how to properly use an epinephrine auto injector if you or someone you know has a life-threatening allergic reaction. Remember: Epi-First and Epi-Fast!
- Go Viral: Use our May Awareness Month Toolkit to find shareable graphics and images for social media related to Food Allergy Awareness Week and more.
- Watch Our Latest Food Allergy Webinar: Learn about new treatment options with our most recent Advances in Allergy & Asthma webinar, “Food Allergies: Biologics Bring Hope.”
- Share Resources: Learn about food insecurity and why it is more common in people with food allergies. Find out about nationwide and local food pantries, food banks and other nutrition assistance resources and share the information in your community.
- Support Allergy & Asthma Network: Show your support for asthma and allergy outreach, education, advocacy and research by making a donation, becoming an advocate, or volunteering your time. Help us continue our important work of raising awareness about food allergies, advocating for those who are affected, and supporting research to find a cure.
Make sure to keep sharing, advocating and raising awareness for people living with asthma, allergies, and related conditions. Check out “12 Ways to Celebrate Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month” to find more ways to celebrate all month long.
We appreciate you celebrating and raising awareness for Food Allergy Awareness Week!